Universidade Autónoma de Lisboa, founded on 13 December 1985, is the oldest private university in the country, with over 30 years of experience at the service of the academic and the student community. The University has an experienced and highly qualified academic staff and a wide offer of Bachelor, Master, post-graduate and PhD programs in several scientific fields, having become a well-known and acknowledged higher education institution in Portugal.
- As a higher education institution, UAL aims to offer high level qualifications to its students and to contribute to their cultural, artistic, scientific, and technological training nationally and internationally.
- UAL values the activity of its researchers, lecturers, students and staff, stimulating their intellectual and professional training and further ensures the conditions to enable all citizens who meet the conditions to have access to higher education and lifelong learning, according to the legislation in force.
- UAL promotes and organizes activities to support and disseminate humanistic, artistic, scientific and technological culture among all.
- In accordance with current legislation, UAL is governed by the principles of academic, cultural, scientific and educational autonomy, involving lectures and students in its academic management.
- UAL pursues the human and social enrichment of its community based on humanistic and individual values, and on the principles of tolerance, internal and international cooperation and respect for human rights.
1. As a centre for the creation, transmission, critique and dissemination of culture, science and technology, and through the articulation of study, teaching and research, UAL conducts its activity based on the values of freedom, democracy and cooperation among all its organs.
2. UAL aims to, namely:
- Provide training at humanistic, cultural, scientific and technical levels;
- Create an educational environment to fulfill its objectives;
- Conduct research, provide support and be part of scientific institutions;
- Transfer and generate economic value from scientific and technological knowledge;
- Provide vocational training and professional development programs;
- Provide services to the community and support to its development;
- Cooperate and interchange cultural, scientific and technical knowledge with similar national and international institutions;
- Contribute to international cooperation and to bringing countries together, in particular, Portuguese-speaking countries;
- Produce and disseminate knowledge and culture;
3. Pursuant to the law, UAL has the right to award academic titles and equivalences and their recognition.