- José de Magalhães holds a PhD in Psychology by Universidad de Extremadura, registered at the ULisboa (2008).
- A Bachelor in Psychology by ISMAG (now Univ. Lusófona) (1996).
- He has been a university lecturer since 1998 and auxiliary professor at UAL since 2009.
- He has been invited lecturer at ISCPS (ULisboa) on HR Management since 2014.
- He is an integrated researcher at CIP/UAL and a member of the GINT, research group. He has been a member of the research group on Burnout by the Portuguese Medical Association (since 2009).
- Invited researcher at SOCIUS/ISEG and at CEPESE
- Senior officer at the National Institute for Statistics, where he coordinates de Commission for Health and Security in the Workplace and Security Senior Officer.
- He has co-edited the scientific journal PSIQUE since 2012.